Father accused of murdering baby son removed from Northumberland village

Latest news from Northumbria Police.
Latest news from Northumbria Police.

A father charged with the murder of his two-month-old baby son has been driven out of a Northumberland village, after mass concerns from the community.

The 22-year-old, from Wales, had been bailed to a property in Hadston. He is charged with murdering his son in October 2014 and appeared at Mold Crown Court, in Wales, earlier this month. A review will take place on October 29 ahead of a provisional trial date which was fixed for April 6 next year.

However, following a newspaper article which appeared online and gave specific details of his bail address, locals took to Facebook to voice their concern and anger that he was now living in the Northumberland village. There were also threats from some people that they would take the law into their own hands.

As a result, he has since been removed from Hadston and the Gazette understands that he has been relocated outside of the Northumbria Police area.

Writing on Facebook yesterday, Coun Scott Dickinson, ward member for Druridge Bay, which covers Hadston, said: “Thank you to all the concerned residents who contacted me about an individual discovered to be living in our community.

“I have today contacted the Police and Crime Commissioner’s Office, Public Protection officers and the Chief Constable. Although the decision lies with the courts, I wanted to ensure residents’ feelings and views were heard loud and clear.”

A Northumbria Police spokeswoman said: “Police were called to an address in Hadston yesterday following reports of verbal threats having been made. Officers attended and a 22-year-old man has been permanently removed from the area.”