Cabbie got child to safety

The burnt vehicle belonging to Knights Taxis
The burnt vehicle belonging to Knights Taxis

A TAXI driver has been praised for his quick thinking after his cab caught fire during a school run.

Michael Owen, who is employed by Knights Taxi in Alnwick, had just picked up a youngster from Swarland on Monday morning when he noticed smoke coming from the engine of his Peugeot E7 minibus.

The 39-year-old, from South View in Hipsburn, immediately got the child out of the cab and was about to open the bonnet when it erupted in flame.

Knights’ boss Paul Dixon said: “He did the right thing, his training kicked in and to us he’s a hero.

“Our vehicles go through two MOTs a year, so it’s a bit of a shock.”

Northumbria Police and the fire and rescue service attended the incident, which is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.