Blaze at Beadnell

Family BBQ gets out of control and sets light to sand dunes at Beadnel, sent in by Michael Burke
Family BBQ gets out of control and sets light to sand dunes at Beadnel, sent in by Michael Burke

Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service (NFRS) has issued a warning following a blaze in the sand dunes at Beadnell Bay.

Firefighters from Seahouses were called to the dunes at 6.30pm on Monday after a small campfire spread and became dangerous.

Fifteen-year-old Michael Burke, who photographed the fire on his phone, said: “I was walking along the beach and I saw a family around a campfire. I thought it might spread because I’ve seen that happen before, two years ago, almost in the same place.”

Paul Hedley, deputy chief fire officer at NFRS, said: “Campfires, barbecues and bonfires can be dangerous and have the potential to cause injury and damage the environment if they get out of control.

We advise people to think fire safety first so that they can enjoy their free time and leave the beaches and countryside unscathed for future visits.”