Community pressure which has been piled onto Arriva following the axing of a vital service may pay off, after the company agreed to look at what could be done to possibly resolve the issue.
Anger was sparked in February when the 20/X20 service was withdrawn from Hadston Square and Amble Links, with objectors saying it left vulnerable residents isolated.
On Monday night, East Chevington Parish Council chairman Scott Dickinson presented a petition signed by more than 180 people in four days to Arriva North East’s Paul De Santis. Coun Dickinson called for the bus to be reinstated in Hadston or, at the very least, to serve the community at peak times.
Mr De Santis said the company would look at the issue.
“We will undertake time trials of the route and see how it is performing with a view of seeing what can be done. I can’t promise more than that,” he said.
Mr De Santis conceded that the time it had taken for the bus to divert to Hadston Square had been a matter of minutes, but was slightly longer at Amble Links.
He added: “We can look at the times and see if there is any possibility of putting a service back into Hadston. There is possibly more scope to put it back in Hadston because it doesn’t take so long.”