NOSTALGIA: More information on Waterloo stones

Thanks to the current landowner of Home Farm, Newton on the Moor, Diane Hall, we now have some more information about the Waterloo stones, featured on this page two weeks ago, which are listed for ‘historical interest’.

As reported in the Gazette 50 years ago, there are four stones, three upright and one horizontal slab, The central stone bore the inscription, Napoleon Finally Subdued by Wellington At Waterloo, June 18, 1815. The stones on either side each bore the name D’Anzo. Below, on one, was the name Thomas Philips and the date September 1815 and on the other, N Jones, 1815. The lettering on the slab was indecipherable.

According to Ms Hall, D’Anzo is actually Anzio where on September 16, 1813, Captain Widdrington’s (the landowner in 1965) relative Lt Samuel Edward Cook helped to capture a ship called Guerriere. Two of his men were killed – Thomas Philips and N Jones, whose names appear on two of the stones. The slab refers to Le Marchant, who was John Gaspard Le Marchant, who was killed at the Battle of Salamanca on July 22, 1812. It also refers to Shannon which is the HMS Shannon, which was involved in the capture of USS Chesapeake on June 1, 1813.

Pictured above is Wilson Fisher, who rented the farm back in June 1965.